Describe how the United States expands its cabinet.
50. Groups that form communal living arrangements like communes, monasteries, ashrams, and housing cooperatives are called:
a. extended families.
d. intentional communities.
e. postmodern families
49. In “Single Fathers Rearing Children,” Geoffrey Greif points out that “more fathers are rearing children alone following separation and divorce than ever before.” However, what important disclaimer do you think Greif made?
a. Single fathers are still only about 15 percent of all single parents.
b. Many states have laws against giving sole custody to fathers following a divorce.
c. Most of these fathers move back in with their parents so that their children live with
d. Soon there will be more single fathers than single mothers.
e. Single fathers have been shown to be much worse parents than single mothers.
48. A woman in North Carolina was found guilty of “lewd and lascivious association” because she lived with her boyfriend. Her behavior is also known as:
c. noncustodial parenting.
d. symbolic interactionism.
e. intentional communities.
47. An individual is most likely to be murdered by:
a. a family member.
b. a law enforcement officer.
c. a stranger.
d. a drug dealer or a drug user.
e. someone seeking to rob him
46. As an agent of socialization, who does the family influence?
a. only children
d. the elderly
44. What kind of task is calling a family member to wish him a happy birthday?
a. a family task
b. an expressive task
c. an operative task
d. an instrumental task
e. a maternal task
43. Propinquity refers to:
a. a fixed set of beliefs.
b. the tendency to seek people with similar backgrounds.
c. the desire for the exotic and the foreign.
d. the appeal of the family.
e. geographic proximity.
42. According to one analysis of white supremacist chat rooms on the Internet, what did the research subjects (those engaging in online chats) find most threatening?
a. interracial marriage
b. residential desegregation
c. competition for jobs from racial and ethnic minorities
d. gang violence
e. African American and Hispanic politicians
41. What sort of laws prohibited the mixing of racial groups through marriage, cohabitation, or sexual contact?
a. reconstruction laws
b. racial purity laws c. the Napoleonic code
d. miscegenation laws
e. Jim Crow laws