56. A self-adjuster screw mechanism (star wheel) are non-directional and can be positioned on either the left or the right side of the vehicle.
57. The self-adjusters (star wheels) for the left side and the right side are interchangeable.
54. The function of the wheel cylinder is to ______.
A. Convert hydraulic pressure to a mechanical force at the drum brakes
B. Maintain correct shoe position and clearance
C. Prohibit the shoe from following the movement of the rotating drum
D. Provide the rubbing surface area for the linings
55. The wheel cylinder bore is filled with brake fluid. When the pedal is depressed, additional brake fluid is forced into the cylinder.
80. All of the following statements about some electric parking brakes are true EXCEPT:
A. They use a cable to apply the rear calipers.
B. They apply when the vehicle is placed in drive.
C. They are integrated with the theft deterrent system.
D. They use an auto-hold feature.
77. A rear disc/drum parking brake uses the inside of each rear wheel hub and rotor assembly as a parking brake drum.
78. Rear disc parking brakes have a mechanism that forces the pads against the rotor hydraulically.
70. Name the three (3) types of brake calipers used with disc brakes?
71. A typical fixed caliper housing is designed with one caliper piston.
69. Complete the following statement about self-adjusting calipers using the following words.
Words: Fluid, Hydraulic, Pads, Piston, Pressure, Retract, Ring, Rotor, Slightly, Wear
A piston hydraulic (square-cut) seal prevents __________ leakage between the cylinder bore wall and the piston. This rubber sealing __________ also acts as a retracting mechanism for the piston when hydraulic __________ is released, causing the piston to return in its bore. When __________ pressure is diminished, the seal functions as a return spring to retract the __________.
In addition, as the disc brake __________ wear, the seal allows the piston to move farther out to adjust automatically for the __________ without allowing fluid to leak. Since the brake pads need to __________ only slightly after they have been applied, the piston moves back only __________ into its bore. The additional brake fluid in the caliper bore keeps the piston out and ready to clamp the surface of the __________.
67. Which of the following is NOT used as a friction material in NAO brake pads?
A. Nut shells
C. Powdered metals
68. Name three (3) types of brake lining friction materials.
64. A ventilated rotor helps cool the disc brake assembly.
65. Rotors are typically made from ______.
B. Cast iron
C. Both “aluminium” and “cast iron”
D. Neither “aluminium” nor “cast iron”
66. Linings are ____ to disc brake pads.
C. Both “riveted” and “bonded”
D. Neither “riveted” nor “bonded”
62. What are the two basic types of brake rotors used on today’s vehicles?
63. Solid rotors are usually found on _____.
A. The front brakes of small, compact vehicles
B. The rear brakes of vehicles with rear disc brakes
C. The front brakes of large pickup trucks and SUVs
D. Both “the front brakes of small, compact vehicles” and “the rear brakes of vehicles with rear disc brakes”
60. What tool is used to adjust the brake shoes before the drum is installed?
A. Drum micrometer
B. Dial indicator
C. Dial caliper
D. Shoe set gauge
61. The lever that moves the star wheel on the self-adjuster is often called a(n) pawl.